Help reduce your environmental footprint. The average American generates 4.5 lbs. of waste each day. Our recycling rate is about 1.5 lbs. per person per day. Most recent data from EPA 2005 info. Be creative. Think how you could reuse an item rather than discard it. Read below to get started ....
- Bring your own bags when shopping to avoid using new plastic or paper bags. If you would like to make your own cloth bags read our Sewing section below. Many stores sell cloth bags. Look for ones locally made to limit transport footprint.
- Read our Plastics page and links prior to using plastic.
- Newspaper bags - to hold rubber bands and other newspaper bags to give back to newpaper delivery person to reuse, use as trash bags for dogs or in cars.
- Oatmeal or cornmeal cardboard containers - when buying in bulk take container to store to refill.
- Plastic bread bags - to prevent brown sugar from solidifying, to keep teabags fresh once the wrapper is off the box, protect cheese after the package has been opened.
- Tortilla bags - to hold cookies.
- Waxed cereal bags - store cookies, sandwich for lunch.
Second-hand Stores - Places to buy, donate, or consign items.
Abigail's Attic Web site
Danville - 295 Mill Street, 570.275.6372
Call store for current hours as they may be different than times stated on website. Consignment and thrift store operated by the Geisinger Medical Center Auxiliary. All proceeds from the Attic are contributed to the medical center for ongoing medical projects.
American Rescue Workers
Accepts clean donations in good working order. Call local store for details. Clothing/Rags, Shoes, Purses, Belts, Jewelry, Automobiles, Books, Toys, Dishes, Kitchen Utensils, Small Appliances, Household Items, Bedding & Linens, Mattresses & Box Springs without tears, Furniture. Call Williamsport office, 570.323.8401 Ext. 10 to arrange home pickup of large items such as furniture.
Mifflinburg - 358 Chestnut St M-F 9-5, Sat. 9-4. 570.966.1992. Donations are now accepted at donation truck station on Tuesdays from 10 - 2 @ Cedar Green Center on SR 45, near Meadow Green Dr. Please use truck whenever possible for clothing and household items as there is limited space at store.
Selinsgrove - 608 US 11 & 15, west side, between Susquehanna Mall and Harrisburg turnoff, M-F 9-7, Sat. 9-4. 570.374.7098
Williamsport - 643 Elmira St, near Bridge St M-F 9-5, Sat. 9-4. 570.323.7321
- 335 Rose St, near 4th St M-F 9-7, Sat. 9-4. 570.323.7321
Goodwill Industries Web site
Accepts clean donations in good working order. Check website and call local store for details and times when items may be donated. Clothing, Books, records, tapes, Furniture, Collectibles and antique items, Jewelry, Shoes, Accessories (handbags, ties, belts, scarves), Household (dishes, housewares, knick-knacks), Domestics (sheets, towels, blankets), Small electrical (radios, televisions, clocks, lamps), Toys, infant items. No home pick ups.
Bloomsburg - Rte 42 south of Lowes/Panera/Walmart complex on west side of Rte 42.
Shamokin Dam - 201 Susquehanna Trail Sun 12-5; M, Tu, Wed, Sat 9-6; Th + Fri 9-8. 570.743.0041
Shamokin - 11 Anthra Plaza Center Sun 12-5; M, Tu, W, Sat 10-6; Th + Fri 10-8. 570.648.3453
Habitat ReStores general info link.
Accept excess building supplies as well as used items. Anyone may shop at store. Items at store may include: windows and doors, paint and hardware, lumber and tools, lighting fixtures and tiles, plumbing supplies and toilets, bathtubs and kitchen sinks, cabinetry.
HandUP Foundation Discount Center Web site
Milton 975 Carpenter Road M-F 10-6, Sat 9-4 570.742.3000.
Accepts all conditions of clothing and shoes. If you have any items that are not in good enough condition put them in a bag or box and mark bailer on it. Accepts household items and appliances in working order. Call store for details.
Selinsgrove 20 S. Market St 570.374.9523
Salvation Army Web site
Accepts clean donations in good working order. Call local store for details and times when items may be donated. Clothing, furniture, household goods, sporting equipment, books, electronics and much more.
Danville - 260 Mill St 570.275.7820
Bloomsburg - 49 W Main St 570.387.0314
- Grocery bag pattern. Here is a Make It Easy pattern which a LAN participant found online and used to make bags out of old drapes.